JazzOnline.com blogger

Friday, November 18, 2005

AMAZING Trane ...

Like many jazz geeks, John Coltrane is one of my favorite artists. I enjoy all of his material but my favorite music comes during the period Trane recorded with his classic quartet featuring McCoy Tyner, Jimmy Garrison and Elvin Jones. All of those albums are simply magic! The music they created is profoundly deep and paramount to the forward direction of music as a whole. Like Louis, Duke and Miles, Coltrane’s music is equally valid today and is still as fresh as ever and influencing souls all around the globe.

I just received a newly transferred live recording from Impulse! Records, taken from Coltrane’s personal master tapes, that was captured at the New York City jazz spot the Half Note in 1965. This material was originally available in small circles as a low fidelity bootleg but has now been fully remastered and put into a very nice collectors package complete with liner notes, photos and quality sound. The package is titled John Coltrane "One Down, One Up - Live at the Half Note" and I highly recommend it. It is amazing music featuring amazing musicians caught at an amazing time in their tenure. Hey, what can I say other than it’s AMAZING! It is in Coltrane’s extended improvisations that you experience pure creative genius – this is deeper than jazz! His playing will leave you speechless and inspired and once you digest this material you will also say it’s AMAZING!

Below is an excerpt from the 26-minute live version of the classic “My Favorite Things” – hear Trane’s flowing saxophone blowing in ways you never heard - AMAZING!

- Joe Vella, Jazz Online


Coltrane Half Note

“I was more listening to him than trying to accompany as a drummer…it seemed like he was sitting on a mountain of ideas.” – Elvin Jones


One Down, One Up - Live at the Half Note


Disc 1 - Intro / One Down One Up / Announcement / Afro Blue
Disc 2 -Intro / Song of Praise / Announcement / My Favorite Things

The streamed audio clip is courtesy of Impulse! Records.



1 Comments:

  • That review was...well, AMAZING!

    I liked the first paragraphs a lot...putting Trane's timelessness in perspective in the company of Louis, Miles, et al.

    Personally, I was disappointed and actually surprised that you didn't name the band members. Although Trane was clearly in front, those other three guys were so significant to his development over five years and this near the very end of the trip. I know you've heard the band with Roy H. on drums. It's great, but it's a different band altogether.

    To me, the discovery of this CD is profound because you can hear, at points, how Trane is reaching for a place that they either can't go to or don't want to. I hear that happening on Song of Praise. There's a moment in Trane's solo on Straight, No Chaser on the Milestones date where he goes beyond Philly's vocabulary. I can imagine Philly saying "Damn...what the f@%k am I supposed to do with that?"

    Hey, I'm not suggesting that this musicians esoterica should have been in your review (you may not even agree with me), I just wanted to share it with you. I DO wish you'd mentioned the cats though.

    By Anonymous Bud Spangler, at 12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home